Thursday, July 5, 2007

School 2.0

When I viewed the School 2.0 map, I was struck by how everyone is connected to technology in someway. This has it's plusses and minuses. I loved seeing people taking online courses (as I wrote in a previous post), I think this is something that will and needs to become more prevalent in our educational system. E-books? What are those? That definitly peeked my curiosity.

The stakeholder group was certainly inclusive but I keep coming back to the question of who are the leaders - who inspires the changes? Policy makers are often ignorant to the possibilities and technologists alone do not have the power(yet) to create the change. I think we need to create motivated teams to get the word out.

One drawback of the map for me was that everyone was connected. I do enjoy being disconnected at times. I think the more power we give technology the harder it will be for people to really let go of it sometimes. How do we find the balance?

5 comments:

iliketech said...

I love to be connected to. But, I think you are right that there does need to be a balance.

Denise said...

I agree. Sometimes I feel like I would just like to go live in a cave somewhere where no one can find me. But, just for an hour or two. :) It would be a big adjustment for me not to be connected.

Mrs. Donovan said...

I also agree and I think BALANCE is the key word. It bothered me when I viewed the school 2.0 map and it showed shifting all the textbook money to digital resources. How sad it would be never to have story time on the rug or read your child a bedtime story. I know I've said it before, but if we were to take away the importance of teacher modeling, feedback, and interaction, what would the results be?

Unknown said...

Remember to delineate TEXTBOOKS from story books. I don't think any of us would want to have a child snuggle up to us to read from a textbook. "Modern Mathematics" is probably not bedtime story fare. I know that we also buy trade books with "textbook money" but in the case of the School 2.0 model, I think they are referring to actual science, social studies, math, and English textbooks. :-)

Betrus said...

E books.?. I do hope that hands on reading mataerial remains a valuable part of everyday lives. I feel that there is a sense of serenity when you can curl up with a book and go to a far away place in your mind. The pictures you create are your own. Will the future value good old fashion reading material?