Sunday, May 20, 2007

Video Resource Sites

I explored each of the recommended sites and found them to be very different. NextVista has an interesting concept. I liked the fact that the videos are all 5 minutes or less and that they can be submitted by adults or students. With only 70 videos, it's general use is minimal so far!!! But I have great hopes for this site. I think it could easily support class projects. It would be a great way for students to demonstrate new learning. when a group of students finishes studying any topic, they could create a teaching video and submit it to the site!


The commercial sites had a wide variety of material and topics. I noticed that people can comment on the videos and sometimes the comments can be inappropriate for students so teachers would have to monitor that. I loved Teacher Tube! I enjoyed the perimeter rap. If you haven't watched the "when I grow Up" video - definitely give it a look. It was creative and I think when shared with older students would lead to a neat discussion about the future.

You Tube and Clipblast were a little to commercial for me. The sites felt overwhelming and more for entertainment purposes than educational.

Teachers of older students might find these sites very helpful. I was thinking of how my older son could use the Next Vista site for help when he is stuck on a math problem.