Monday, May 28, 2007

Wikis - A Valuable Tool

Wikis are a wonderful way to get kids writing on the computer. So often students complete assignments, they are graded, and handed back. A wiki allows their learning to be shared for all. I had the opportunity to use the Village Wiki with my first graders. They were so excited to go home and look up their work online. More than that, they were excited to tell other family and friends about it - even those that live far away.
I liked Mr. Lindsay's wiki. His newsletter was done as a podcast which saves a lot of time and trees. I also liked wikijunior. The concept of collaboratively creating primary level non-fiction books is awesome!!! I could actually use the pages that are under construction on that page as a resource for my class. The dinosaur pages are terrific. I have to be honset, with all that I have learned about blogs and wikis, I find them more vauable and stimualting than my my classroom website.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I have to be honset, with all that I have learned about blogs and wikis, I find them more vauable and stimualting than my my classroom website."

I completely understand, Terri! I think it's because a classroom website is so one-dimensional, just "read" and blogs and wikis are so interactive, more "read/write" and "read/write" some more. It took me a while to really see the value of using wikis as opposed to more traditional websites, and now I'm completely sold. Seems like every day I see another great way to use a wiki!